Parowan Valley Water Rights

Purchase Parowan Valley Water Rights

Parowan Valley Water Rights FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

You got questions, we got a few answers.

What is a water right? What are underground water rights in Utah?
All waters in Utah are public property. A “water right” is a right to divert (remove from its natural source) and beneficially use water. Underground water is drawn from the source by a well and pump for use above ground. This requires a licensed well driller.

Why does Priority matter? What does priority of water rights mean?
Utah is located in a desert and is in a moderate drought. Early priority of water right means those holding water rights with the earliest priority dates, and who have continued beneficial use of the water, have the right to water from a certain source before others with water rights having later priority dates. In case of lengthy drought, lack of water and/or policy changes with the Division of Water Rights, priority date of water right matters.

What does beneficial use of water right mean?
Beneficial use of water right is the basis, the measure and the limit of all rights to the use of water in Utah. A water right is quantified based on its beneficial use.

I want to build a home and need a well. Can I just drill a well and start using the underground water?
No, you must own a water right to divert and use water in the State of Utah. Water well drillers are licensed and cannot drill a well unless permission to drill has been obtained from the State Engineer at the Division of Water Rights. Where can I purchase a Parowan Valley water right? You can Purchase Parowan Valley Water Rights here.

How long does it take to obtain permission from the State Engineer to drill a well in Parowan Valley?
It is taking several weeks to months getting approval from the Division of Water Rights to drill a well in Parowan Valley.

How much water right is needed when building a home in Parowan Valley?
DOMESTIC (inside use only): Water diversion for a full-time (permanent residence) use is evaluated at 0.45 acre-foot per family per year. Purchase Parowan Valley Water Rights for domestic use here.

How much water right is needed to irrigate my land?
IRRIGATION (any outside watering): This purpose includes watering of crops, lawns, gardens, orchards, and landscaping. In the Parowan Valley it is about 4 acre-feet per acre. You will need to check with the Division of Water Rights to confirm an amount for your specific uses.

Where do I get water rights?
Water rights are classified as “real property” in the state of Utah and are bought and sold much like real estate. Many real estate agencies will have listings for water rights much as they do for other real properties. You can Purchase Parowan Valley Water Rights here.

Is there a list of people who have water rights for sale?
You may want to talk to a real estate agent or check bulletin board postings or other listings. Demand has been high and the supply of willing sellers is low making water Parowan Valley water rights hard to find. Parowan Valley water rights and Area 75 Water Rights are both drawing from the same basin.

Can I start a well without the water rights?
No. Get enough well water to protect your family needs with early date priority water right here. Purchase Parowan Valley Water Rights

Where do I find a well water driller in the Parowan Valley?
There are several local well water drillers but, you may need to get on a waiting list as the drillers have been very busy keeping up with demand for water well drilling. You can get more information on well drilling and other FAQ at Area 75 Water Rights FAQ.

Do I need to have a water right and well approval to get a building permit?
You can check with the Iron County Building & Zoning for rules and regulations.

Check out these great Parowan Valley and Summit Valley building and home lots available now. Summit Valley Ranchos.

For more information and answers to your FAQ's see Utah Division of Water Right FAQ.
Any water user with questions or concerns regarding Utah water rights is advised to contact the appropriate region office of the Division of Water Rights and/or to seek competent legal counsel.

Copyright 2023 Parowan Valley Water Rights FAQ